Healthy Salmon Chowder (Dairy-Free!)
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
3 celery stalks, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. no-salt added tomato paste
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 lbs boneless skinless wild salmon fillet, cooked and cubed (or three, 16 oz cans of wild salmon, bones and skin removed
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup frozen green peas
Zest of lemon
1/2 cup chopped dill (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and salt and heat until onions have softened, about 6 minutes.
2. Add sweet potato and carrots and heat for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, celery and garlic and heat for an additional 3 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato paste and red pepper flakes. Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until potato and carrots are tender.
4. Break cooked salmon into chucks and add to the pan along with coconut milk, green peas and lemon zest and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes, but do not bring to a boil.
5. Stir in chopped dill (optional) and Serve!