Dinner doesn’t get much better than this delicious comfort food casserole! It’s packed with broccoli, carrots, and green peas and uses easy ingredients like leftover cooked chicken, rice and cream of chicken soup!
Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1.5 cups broccoli florets, cooked
- 1. 5 cups frozen mixed veggies
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 tsp.black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 + 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped (optional)
For this recipe, I used pre-cooked chicken and cooked my rice and broccoli before. It takes a lot less time in the oven and overall.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
2. In a large mixing bowl mix cooked chicken, cooked rice, broccoli, frozen vegetables, onions, cream of chicken soup, garlic, pepper, and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
3. Add mixture to the casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, garnish with fresh parsley and serve. Simple right?
Bonus Recipe Tips:
1. I’m not usually a fan of using can cream soups and boxed meals, but sometimes, for the sack of time and convenience, you just have to use them.
2. I recommend using a long grain rice like Basmati. The short grain rice makes the dish to mushy.
3. You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.
4. To freeze this recipe mix all ingredients together (cooked rice and chicken just like in the recipe) in an alumni casserole dish. Cover tightly and place in the freezer for 2-3 months. Allow thawing in the fridge overnight then cook according to directions.