*** This recipe was inspired by the lentil burger served and enjoyed by many at the Sprout Restaurant here in St. John’s, NL. Now overhauled to be LYL Approved. Enjoy!! 🙂
- 3/4 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed, strained and picked through
- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, half finely chopped and half thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. coriander
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- In a medium to large pot bring lentils and broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the lentils are fully softened and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mash well with a potato masher. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and red pepper. Sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add lemon juice, cumin, basil, coriander, cinnamon and mustard. Stir 2minutes
- Add the onion mixture, flax meal, egg and walnuts to the lentil, season with salt & pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Form the mixture into six 4-inch patties, brush with olive oil on both sides. Grill until nice grill marks form, about 3 minutes per side.
Serve on a sprouted grain bun with sliced onion and your favorite burger toppings.
OR for a low-carb option top with tzatziki sauce, sliced tomato, and avocado.