Red Velvet Cupcakes
(From my Clean Comfort Fat Burning Meals Cookbook Page 389)
- 3 small beets
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 4 tbsp. arrowroot flour
- 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup organic unsalted butter
- ½ cup raw honey
- 3 whole eggs
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Wrap beets completely in aluminum foil and place in the oven. Roast until tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool. When the beets are cool to touch, remove peel by pushing the skin with your fingers. Place beets in a high speed blender or food processor and puree. Measure out 1 cup of puree.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix together coconut flour, arrowroot flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl combine butter, honey, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and beet puree. Mix well.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Using a hand mixer blend until a creamy cake-like texture is achieved.
Divide batter evenly in muffin pan.
Bake 25-30minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Let cupcakes cool. Top with prepared Cream Cheese frosting (see recipe below).
‘Cream Cheese’ Recipe
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours in warm water
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Discard the cashew soaking water.
- Add all of the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor. Blend on high until creamy — this will take a few minutes. If you still see little pieces of cashew, keep blending. The constancy will become smooth and creamy.