Yields 4 servings
- 1½ cups lentils, rinsed and soaked for 2 hours
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can, low sodium crushed tomatoes
- 2½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- sea salt for seasoning
1. Rinse and soak lentils for 2 hours, drain.
2. Heat the olive oil and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft.
3. Add all herbs and spices except the parsley, and saute.
4. Add the lentils and saute a few minutes, until coated with the herb mixture.
5. Add the vegetable broth and tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with sea salt and garnish with chopped parsley.