Happy Whip It Wednesday!
Last week I shared with you a tasty way to cycle your protein with a warm and filling Tofu & Lentil Curry Stew.
Did you enjoy it?
It gets pretty cold here in Newfoundland, Canada during the Winter months and this February has been exceptional cold. With plenty of snow days and weekends spent keeping toasty warm at home . With cold temperatures often comes a craving for food that is hearty and comforting.
So I decided to make February month all about soups and stews to keep you warm and comfy during those cold winter days, or on days when you get crave something that smells like it came from Grandma’s kitchen 🙂
Here is today’s Whip It Up Wednesday LYL Dish! Enjoy!
Herb Chicken Meatball Minestrone
- 1 ½ lbs of ground extra lean chicken
- ½ yellow onion, diced finely
- 2 tbsp feta cheese
- 2 tbsp shredded romano cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of bread – crumbed
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil (for cooking meatballs)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and gently combine with fingers until thoroughly mixed. Roll into meatballs. Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat, once the pan is hot add the meatballs and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place on baking dish and cook for 5-7 minutes or until juices run clear. Set aside.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of Brown Rice pasta
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes – drained
- 2 – 3 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp of oregano
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 zucchini, chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 cups fresh kale – chopped
- Chicken meatballs
- Feta cheese for topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium, and add onion and garlic. Sweat onions and garlic for 3 minutes and then add celery, carrots and tomatoes. Sauté for another 4 minutes and then add stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 7-8 minutes. Add rice pasta and continue to boil for another 10 minutes until pasta is el dente. Add zucchini, kale, chicken meatballs, herbs and seasoning and simmer until flavours are well incorporated. Be sure to taste and season to your liking.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with feta cheese.