Indian-Style Cauliflower Rice
- 1 red onion, minced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 medium head cauliflower, stems removed
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/3 cup or low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. fresh grounded pepper salt to taste (I use 1/2 – 1 tsp)
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup raisins
- Handful cilantro (optional)
- Slice of lemon or lime (optional)
1) Chop the florets off of the cauliflower head and process (in batches if necessary) in a food processor until the cauliflower is the size of rice grains. Several pulses usually works for me.
2) Add coconut oil to large skillet and heat over low/med heat. Add spices, except for salt and pepper and heat for one minute, then add onions, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes, add garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
3) Add processed cauliflower, green pea, raisins and broth to the skillet. Stir, cover pan, turn heat to low, cook for 10-15minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked to your preference. Stir at least once during cooking. Turn off heat and add a handful of chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir to combine.
NOTE: If you prefer a firmer cauliflower rice, leave out the broth and simply sauté the rice uncovered, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes or until cooked to preference.
P.S. Your rice might not look as yellow as mine. I usually add extra turmeric.