Mackenzie’s Carrot Apple Muffin
These muffins are wholesome, deliciously gluten-free and loaded with fresh fruit and veggies. They bake up golden brown and are light and fluffy on the inside. Perfect for on-the-go breakfast or snack.
Yields: 12 servings
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 medium apple, finely grated (I like to use Gala or Fuji)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 2/3 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp. gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 cup raw seeds or nuts (optional for toppings) Mackenzie likes sunflower seeds, but you can use sliced almonds, or walnuts.
- Prepare muffin pan with liners or lightly grease.
- In a large mixing bowl add egg, mashed banana, maple syrup, avocado oil and whisk to combine.
- Next add grated apple, coconut palm sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and whisk to combine.
- Add almond milk, grated carrot and mix well.
- Next, add oats, almond meal, gluten free flour blend and stir to completely combine.
- Divide mixture evenly among 12 muffin tins. Top with your choice of seeds or nuts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely for 15 minutes. Do not try to remove them too quickly or they will stick to the pan or muffin liner.
Calories: 197 /Fat: 1g / Carbs: 28g / Sugar: 12g / Sodium: 194mg/ Fiber: 3.4g / Protein: 3.6g