Festive Stuffed Acorn Squash
This dish is truly bursting with flavour and holiday colours. The wild rice mixture is filled with onions, celery, pecans, cranberries and the holiday’s top spices. Serving these Festive Stuffed Acorn Squash bowls makes a fun and beautiful dish to serve your holiday guests.
Makes: 6 servings
4 acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
5 celery stalks, diced
2 1/2 cups cooked wild rice or quinoa
1 cup pecans, chopped
3/4 cup cranberries
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place squash halves on a baking sheet, cut side down and bake for 30 minutes. When you take the squash out of the oven flip them over, to prevent them from sticking.
- In a sauté pan, heat coconut oil and cook onions over medium heat. Once tender, add celery and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat and place the onion mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked grains, pecans, cranberries, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and salt.
- Spoon out some of the cooked squash, creating a space for the grain and veggie mixture while still leaving a nice amount on the shell.
- Press grain and veggie mixture into each squash; feel free to mound it up.
- Place leftover rice in a serving bowl as a delicious side dish.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
Per Serving: 302 calories, 12g fat, 46g carbohydrate, 7.6g fiber, and 6g protein
If you would like more Holiday recipes like these then I invite you to join me LIVE in my Holiday Kitchen so I and share with you my Delicious Classic Holiday Recipes that you can enjoy with friends and family this season without compromising taste or your waistline.
I’ll be hosting three LIVE Cooking Shows (see dates and locations below) to help you take the stress out of holiday entertaining and weight gain. In addition to delicious food sampling I’ll also be sharing my Holiday Survival Tips and tricks, so that you can enjoy all the flavours of the season without packing on those dreaded holiday pounds.
During this lively and entertaining cooking demonstration you can sit back, relax and enjoy feeling, inspired to make this your Healthiest and most Delicious Holiday season EVER!!
Hope to see you in the audience!
Live Show Dates, Times and Locations:
Thursday, November 12th 6:30pm – 9:30pm at Fairfield Inn & Suites
Saturday, November 14th 9:30am-12:30pm at Mount Peyton Hotel
Sunday, November 15th 6:00-9:00pm at Hotel Gander
To learn more about the event or to get your show tickets click HERE!