Turmeric Lentil Soup
Makes 4 servings
- 1½ cups lentils, rinsed and soaked for 2 hours
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 3 tbsp. water
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1-inch piece of turmeric, finely grated (or 1 tbsp. ground turmeric)
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp. coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 box crushed tomatoes
- 2½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse and soak lentils for 2 hours, drain.
- Heat the olive oil and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add all herbs and spices except the parsley, and sauté.
- Add the lentils and sauté a few minutes, until coated with the herb mixture.
- Add the vegetable broth and tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley.